20 Feb 7 Reasons for Suffering
Life Group Leader Notes
February 20, 2022
7 Reasons for Suffering
- Jesus, The Suffering Servant.
- We as believers are not immune to suffering. “We are in the world but not of the world.”
1 Corinthians 11:23
- Breaking of Bread. A remembrance of Jesus’s suffering.
2 Corinthians 11: 23 – 29
- Paul’s suffering
Why do we suffer?
- We belong to Jesus. The world hated Him and they will hate you too. You are marked, it’s the work of Satan.
John 15: 18-19; Acts 14: 22
Discussion: Are you or have you experienced persecution for your faith?
- Self-induced suffering.
1 Peter 4:15-16
- Disobedient and rebellion against God’s Word.
- Israel – Samson – Jonah
- Need help from the Holy Spirit.
- Violation of God’s Laws.
Galatians 6: 7-8
- We want to do our own thing, fit God in.
- Wrong beliefs about suffering.
- The more you suffer the more godly you are (wrong).
- A Christian who believes and yet satisfies the lust of the flesh. For example, hate, jealousy, pride, gossiping, fear.
- He allows suffering.
- It refines us.
Discussion: Pick one from above and give an example in your life?
Suffering brought upon us:
- By the devil. He is a thief and robber who has come to steal, kill, and destroy.
- By the world. They hated Me, they will hate you also.
God allows suffering:
- To test our faith. 1 Peter 4:12
- To refine us. Isaiah 48: 10
- To chastise. Hebrews 12: 6-7
- For His Glory. John 11:4, 40, 45
- If we suffer with Him, we will reign with Him.
Discussion: Are you ready?